Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Pruning Leucospernum

I pruned the leucospernum last year with trepidation .. would it survive?

It did indeed survive and put on new growth where I had pruned it. I was very cautious and only took one years' growth off. It is about to flower at the moment, not as prolifically as before, but flowering nonetheless.

When this flowering season has ended I intend to prune it again, though this time it will be a harder prune - fingers crossed it survives again. The bush really needs to be considerably smaller, it's gotten out of hand and encroaches on the parking bay in the driveway.

The trick seems (probably not a trick for well-seasoned gardeners, but it is for us novices!), as I guess it is with some plants, to prune only to a stem that still has leaves on it. If there are no leaves then it wont start growing from the pruning point. I think I'll have about two years growth in most places that I can take off - in other places it might be three.

Before Pruning:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have planted a yellow version and am very happy with it, this is the third flowering and i will be pruning it back to two thirds for a bushier flowering next year hopefully. I have had two small orange coloured shrubs die previously. They are easy to look after once established.
Leah