Friday, August 07, 2009

Vegie Patch Update

Winter is a pretty boring time in the vegie patch as far as I'm concerned.

Despite this I do have a few things growing, most of which are experiments .. ie things I've never grown before.

My vegie patch is raised from ground level and made of old railway sleepers. Here's how it's looking at the moment - tomatoes in front, brussel sprouts at the back, potatoes to the left rear and then there are some items in tyres (yes I still have the tyres from the potatoes in tyres experiment!):



Below are the potatoes. They haven't been up for long but seem to be doing very well.



This is some of the leeks (amongst flat leaf parsley). I've never grown these before. They seem to be taking a long time to thicken up.


This curious creature is Kale, also something I've not previously grown. Its neighbours were munched very early on by pale greyish looking bugs. This one (in a separate tyre) didn't get munched. I just love how dark the leaves are.

And here we have the brussel sprouts, again something I've not grown before. These took simply ages to start growing the sprouts - which come from where the leaf stalks meet the main stalk.


Here's a closer shot of the sprouts - and the pale grey bugs that are now devouring them These seem to be the same bugs that ate most of the Kale when it was at the seedling stage. I'm guessing both plants are brassica family so no doubt are attractive to the same bugs.


I may pick one of the sprouts this weekend, mostly out of curiosity. They've taken so long to grow I'm sure they will be overly strong - but you never know!

I have also grown bok choi, lettuce and some of the sweetest snow peas over the last couple of months. The weather is too cold now for these. It's really too cold for the tomatoes - they have set fruit but there's not enough sunshine to ripen them.

So although winter is generally a fairly quiet time in my vegie patch I have tried a few things this year just to see how they go. If nothing else I can dig them in at the end and provide some good nutrients for the next crops!

Happy gardening everyone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic site and it shows a lot of creativity. Keep up the good work and I will check on you later.
Beth Gray
Author of the Stacy McCray Series available on kindle and mobipocket
www.bethgray.us
www.howtobecomeabetterhooker.info

Elizabeth Barrette said...

These are beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing. I'm in the U.S. myself, but I have several friends in Australia, so it's great fun to see how gardening looks down there.